Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wildflowers...

1b. On page 10 of this reading assignment, Tomlinson says, “… we teach responsively when we understand the need to teach the human beings before us as well as to teach the content with which we are charged. … [It] is important to begin with the conviction that we are no longer teaching if what we teach is more important than who we teach or how we teach.” What does this mean to you?

I have always thought of the students I will teach. I was asked once to write a paper in a prerequisite class and in that paper I talked about who I was going to teach in my classroom. I had talked about how I needed to teach the material right but most of all I needed to remember who I am teaching. I will never know the impact that I will have on my students and I will never know at their young age if they are going get through college, become a politician or a famous celebrity or even make some historic difference to our world. I need to make sure I show all my students that they are equally important and that they can accomplish all that they want.

Each child is different. If we were all the same, then the world be so boring. I look forward to seeing what each student brings to my classroom. Each child can teach everyone something new and everyone can learn from everyone. I can't wait to see what each child brings to me as wildflower. I know that everyone can teach something new because I had a diverse classroom all while growing up and I learned so much about other cultures and disabilities and such that I can't wait to have my students learn just as much if not more from all the wildflowers in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. A learning community--what a comfortable idea. We really don't know who we are teaching and none is more important than another.

    ReplyDelete